Wednesday, October 29, 2008

1/6

For the projected year I've created little ticks on my mental timeline that divide my life into terms or periods. Whatever you want to call it. Actually, let me take a minute to create a visual timeline for you folks. This will only take a minute...

(12 minutes later)

Okay. Here it is. I've completed one-sixth of my time here. My recent miniature vacation at L'abri marked my two months here in Den Haag. The next two months will be solid until I fly home on Christmas Eve.


This timeline may indicate that I'm anxiously counting down the days until I leave, which is a misconception. Rather, see the glass 1/6 full. One glowing, beautiful sixth of a year to commemorate. To grow from.

Now let me briefly describe my holiday at L'abri.

The house was full of warm, familiar faces as well as new. Since the weekend was a film weekend L'abri was a busy place, with almost every bed reserved. On Friday evening the guests arrive for a lecture to introduce the theme of the weekend. This particular theme was "Made for Connectivity." The three films on Saturday proved the theme to be true. All three films I will not discuss here but will recommmend to you:



I interacted and responded with each film differently, but enjoyed each for the object of discussion about relationships. Into the Wild ended with a bold statement: "Happiness is only real when shared." I'm curious what you think about this quote. Let's discuss.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Why is no one discussing??!!
Tssssssssssssssssss

I would be very curious what L'Abri-people or Robb would have to say about this statement. From what I think for just myself...
As far as I don't even really believe in absolute statements like these - I do think I have to agree. From the beginning of times, as I believe, we were never meant to live alone. That we desire sometimes to be left (the heck) alone..that is something different. Even though relationships (any*) can be the most difficult thing sometimes, it is the most beautiful thing at the same time. *'Any'; about this word we could even continue another discussion, 'cause for Into the Wild, the guy apparently had enough 'relationship' with his diary. Or, did he? In the end? Hmpf! Confusing. Maybe I should think before I speak. Haha! I'd be interested to know how the discussion was on this one. Intriguing film for sure...