Thursday, August 13, 2009

Return From Neglect

i begin writing this not even certain that i will post, but i tend to overlook the important details and thoughts of my existence until i consider it in literary form. this is often the most liberating form of communication yet it's the most difficult because of the time and thought commitment.

my last official post was in 2008. for this i am ashamed because i have not made efforts to stay connected to all the people i wish to share my life with. though sometimes i feel like my life is too complicated or even too boring to deem worthy of posting.

a few months ago i made the decision to stay in the netherlands for a bit longer. i am not ready to transition back to my american life. the job market is not so promising. and i'm enjoying my european life. internally: permission to act and think without the pressure of other's expectation (my own expectations are pressing enough). practically: i like my job. my friends. my location. my bikram yoga studio. my bike. my lifestyle.

so i extended my contract by three months. one more beautiful autumn in den haag. one more sinterklaas celebration. one more opportunity to ice skate on the canal in front of the house. one more period to love and devote to my lovely dutch family.

i don't have plans beyond december. so don't ask.

i just got back from a lovely vacation camping in sainte sigolène, france with the family and in portugal with my... well, special manfriend.

a few photos for your viewing pleasure.

FRANCE

elodie and i on our day out in lyon, one hour outside of sainte sigolène. elodie is my french/dutch friend who stayed with us in the hague one year ago. her family owns the lovely campsite in sainte sigolène... http://www.vaubarlet.com/



we made it! the top of the (inactive) volcano we hiked up at 4:30 a.m. to catch the sun peeking over the hills. gab and greetje were troopers! and coffee and croissants were awaiting us at the top. gab enjoyed getting to know our friendly tour guide.




taking in the fresh alpine dew.


this little girl cried the whole way up the volcano. her sweet father carried her to the top. she was probably thinking ''why papa did we have to get up at 4:00 a.m. to hike up a cold mountain in the dark??'' that's why i call this photo... ''Yes Papa, I see now.''



PORTUGAL


pedro and i took hundreds of photos. here are a select view. just a taste.



















2 comments:

ITEM No. 434.607 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ITEM No. 434.607 said...

Beautifull!!! What a greeeat summer.. Glad you're staying longer!
(PS It's Ammeret saying this..)